--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
> <Irmeli.Mattsson@> wrote:
> >
> > I just cannot see the speech as offensive. The quotation becomes
> > offensive only,  when it is taken out of the context of the whole
> speech.
> > The pope is quoting a Christian Byzantine Emperor, who is trying to
> > challenge an educated Persian by his claims and questions.
> > I have very difficult to imagine that the Christians would feel
> deeply
> > hurt and offended had the claim been made by a muslim about
> > Christianity.
>
> It really depends who holds global power. Muslims feel under attack
> nowadays by Christians, so there is a strong tendency by Muslims to
> feel every slight, real or imagined, because it is the Christians
> who are in power. Those who would view this situation logically or
> dispassionately miss this point.
>
> There is a popular talk show host on TV in the USA, Dr. Phil McGraw,
> ("Dr. Phil") who speaks about 'psychological sunburn'- a phenomenon
> whereby a person or group feel so upset about the practices of
> another, that even expressions that are not offensive, but that
> remind the upset group of abuse, are only dealt with by outbursts of
> violence and anger.
>
> The situation isn't helped any by those in the West who then point
> to this logically misplaced anger and declare the angry group as
> extremists and madmen.

The pope was not pointing to a logically misplaced anger through
choosing the quotatation, but wanting to open a discussion about the
basic beliefs and structures between Islam and Christianity that
differ in some essential features. It was an invitation to a dialogue.
The muslims responded to it by misplaced anger and violence. Is the
pope to be considered responsible for the reactions of the Muslims?
Do we have to accept any kind of behavior from the Muslims just
because we want to condescend them to mere poor incompetent victims
with little capacity to more advanced moral reasoning than the
principles of shame and revenge.

Irmeli

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional