Re: U.S. nixes 2000 pundits

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

bbrigante wrote:
> > ****************
> >
> > The U.S. policy of denying visas for economic reasons (not
letting
> in
> > poor people because of the concern that they will not go home
when
> > their visas expire) is not discriminatory (except, obviously, on
> the
> > basis of financial status) because it applies the same to
> applicants
> > from every country. I would like to see the pundits here, but few
> > Americans want every poor person in the world to move here, and
> most
> > want to.>>
>

> If they are students and can prove support while they are here
> (which they certainly can) then it is definately discrimination and
> is unconsitutional and against the law.
>
> OffWorld

**************

Here's the way the U.S. State Dept. and most American citizens look
at it: fine, foreign students can come to school here in the U.S.,
but we don't want you to stay and take away jobs from Americans.

And, in fact, many people admitted on visas, student
or otherwise, overstay them, and they comprise nearly half of the
illegal immigrants in the U.S.:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5485917

Who are the people who are most likely to overstay visas? Poor
people, with poor job prospects back in their home country, who will
want to stay in the U.S. after their visa expires. The pundits'
poverty is why they were denied entry -- it does not matter that they
would be supported while they are here on their visas, legally -- the
question is, how many would stay in the U.S. after their visas
expire? Probably none, but that is not the point of view of State
Dept screeners, who have to deal with the fact that nearly half of
all illegal immigrants are visa holders who overstay in the U.S.
because there are economic
opportunites here not available in their home countries.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: