> I've never seen Stephen Colbert's show because I guess it's air
time
> conflicts with my schedule.  But I used to love him on the
old "Daily
> Show" with Craig Kilborn (I never saw Colbert in the Daily Show
> version with Jon Stewart because Stewart is Roger Moore to
Kilborn's
> Sean Connery and I just can't stomach it).
>
> However, I saw the following clip of Colbert's show linked on the
> huffingtonpost.com and I think it's hilarious.  Only Colbert could
> invite two of the USA's leading feminists on his show and then
proceed
> to make them bake apple pie!
>
> What's telling about the clip is how Jane Fonda "gets it"
> right away and plays along but Steinem is totally devoid
> of a sense of humor:

Actually, they had both "gotten it" before
they even did the segment.  They knew exactly
what was going to happen and how they were
going to play it, as did Colbert (they work
these things out beforehand).  Some of it was
even scripted.  Remember that Fonda is an
actress and has done quite a bit of comedy, so
she focused on that while letting Steinem do
most of the talking, which is *her* strength.

I thought they both carried it off very well.
I detected no humorlessness at all in
Steinem.  They were both clearly having fun
with it while also getting their points across.
Colbert, of course, *wanted* them to be able
to make their points, and the segment was
designed to enable them to do that.  But I
suspect the whole idea behind it was to show
that feminists *do* have a sense of humor,
which is exactly what it did.

The only thing that didn't quite work was
that they were so charming Colbert wasn't able
to stay in character.

> http://tinyurl.com/y84fpb

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional