On Nov 28, 2006, at 2:07 AM, anywho108 wrote:

This brings up something I've been pondering about "yogic flying"
which of course isn't flying at all. Although I've had the sutras for
many many years, I would like to hear some explanation of exactly what
bouncing around, or shaking, or whatever else people are doing has
anything to do with levitation.

I've always had the feeling that if tomorrow MMY said, okay, all this
hopping around isn't really necessary, then all of a sudden people
would stop hopping around.

What's the point?

It's a by product of either pranayama or the most elementary form of kundalini awakening.

There are basically three levels of kundalini awakening: prana kundalini, cit kundalini and samashti kundalini.

Prana kundalini is usually experienced by jerking, hopping motions. It's what happens when kundalini awakens at the muladhara chakra. Kundalini then usually goes on to rise higher, but in the TMSP it is chronically and repeatedly invoked at this lower level. It also can provide minor, passing siddhis.

It's only when kundalini becomes cit kundalini at the heart chakra that the awakening process really begins to unfold. Once it reaches the third eye and samashti kundalini is awake, one is able to perceive from a unified level of consciousness.