On Nov 28, 2006, at 4:29 PM, sparaig wrote:

On Nov 28, 2006, at 10:50 AM, jim_flanegin wrote:

Dude, you've never even *done* the flying technique! lol!

Not only have I, I was a successful hopper.

What you
have written has nothing specific to do with the flying sutra.
Pranayama!? That is just absurd- I did pranayama before meditation
for years prior to meditation and never a hint of hopping or
movement.

Pranayama in it's deeper sense is a yama or pause--a gap--in the
breath, that often coincides with Pure Consciousness. If this gap
does not occur, even briefly in a flash, the prana can never have the
door it needs to "hop".

So it is "prana" that is hopping, rather than the body? The prana is what is important rather than pure consciousness? YFers hopping about stabilizes prana but doesn't stabilize pure
consciousness?

No it is not prana "hopping", it's the side effect of prana entering the muladhara-chakra and what happens when it "touches" apana-vayu. That's all.

That's not to say that prana is not important...

Where's the research on breath suspension using Buddhist meditation techniques, BTW?

Was I supposed to be looking for some?

A teacher of mine did some casual experiment though and I was impressed. In the longer "pauses" it's not so much a "pause" as it is a very, very long in and out-breath. I'm not sure if there is any recent research on the real long suspensions--hour and days. But I'm really less and less "wowed" by objective research. I'd much rather sit next to someone who does do such a long suspension and then talk to them.

IMO it's finding out your own inner signs that's ultimate.