--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> I think everyone here has misread Harris's viewpoints,
> which might be expected from this type of group.

> Harris does not deny the existence of unbounded eternal
> divinity or anything else in that realm, he just says
> you can say with certainty that it exists, or say it is
> "Truth" that it exists.

I think you meant "cannot say with certainty," right?

> Harris properly points out the dangers of believing in
> these sort of absolute unprovable Truths without realizing
> that they're actually just your own belief systems that
> you own for whatever reasons, good or bad, but he's not
> denying anyone the right to hold their belief system -
> whereas religionists have a tendency to want to deny any
> other belief system which does not conform to their Truth.

The problem is that you get into an infinite
regress here.  Harris *is* denying religionists
the right to believe that their beliefs are
absolute Truth.  That is the *foundation* of
their belief systems.

Sullivan, as far as I can see, is not trying to
convince Harris that Christianity is Absolute Truth;
he's trying to show Harris that Harris's reasons
for asserting that Christianity *cannot* be
Absolute Truth are not well grounded.

As I said to Barry, the argument isn't symmetrical
in this regard.