<snip>
> Singer was at least as bad, FWIW.  But Markovsky was very
> happy to have been appointed editor of her anticult
> journal, until that whole project fell through.

You should know that Markovsky required editorial independence from the Singer
Foundation and indicated that he intended to hold the journal to <I>his</I>
understanding of scholarly and scientific rigor.

> <snip>
> If you're going to use the model of "brainwashing"
> as a "metaphor" or "poetic device," you better be
> damn sure you make that really clear at the outset.
>
> Of course, "brainwashing" is a metaphor to begin
> with, but most people understand the term as it
> was originally used and think of prisoners of war
> and the "Manchurian Candidate."
>
> And I rather doubt Gina was using Lifton's criteria
> as nothing more than metaphors.  Curtis certainly
> doesn't.

I may have misled you. I didn't mean to say that Gina understands "thought
reform" as a
metaphor. You would have to ask her how she understands "thought reform." You
may
want to post a comment on the blog.

What I meant to offer was my reaction to her article.

Lifton also didn't talk about "thought reform" as a metaphor. That was only my
personal
reaction to the concept of thought reform or brainwashing.

J.