> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > There have been a bunch of good points about many aspects of
> > this problem and lots of good counters.  The fact is that this
> > kid had mental problems and "went off".  Plenty of people
> > saw "warning signs" but there lots of kids showing "warning
> > signs" so perhaps greater awareness of risky kids might help,
> > and maybe not.  We can't exactly just lock up all the risky
> > kids. This situation may not have a solution.
>
> Total agreement on this. I might feel differently if
> I'd ever lost anybody in one of these horrors, but
> I'd rather take the risk of the exceedingly rare
> event than that of locking people up unnecessarily.
>
> It's not going to eliminate the problem; not all mass
> murderers give warning signs. And of people who do,
> it's exceedingly iffy to predict their future behavior.
>
> Seems to me that today's climate is not a good one for
> taking even tentative steps toward reducing anybody's
> civil liberties

Despite saying what you do above about reducing civil liberties,
below in two places you advocate doing exactly that:

- gun control (although you do not advocate it in this particular
circumstance) which is a civil liberty in the 2nd amendment; and

- freedom of the press (publishing Cho's photo) which is a civil
liberty in the 1st amendment.

On the freedom of the press question, out of curiosity, how do you
feel about the media:

1) publishing oodles and oodles of photos of Abu Ghraib;

2) NOT showing the full beheading videos (there are at least 5 of
them on the internet) or the photos of people jumping out of the
windows of the World Trade Centre?