--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "uns_tressor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
> <willytex@> wrote:
> >
> > uns_tressor wrote:
> > > The danger of the Apaches galloping
> > > over the horizon is relatively low
> > > nowadays, I am told.
> >
> > Were you also told that many Brit invaders
> > had guns that caused the Apaches to gallop
> > over the horizon to defend the right to
> > their land? If you weren't told this in
> > history class, that would be perverse.
>
> You miss the point.
>
> The threat which underlay the original tolerance
> of guns is gone. And guns should go along with it.
> Lesislation along with ferocious policing would
> sort it if, and only if, there was the will.

Uns, just to clarify for a Brit, the purpose
of the original "right to bear arms" language
in the U.S. Constitution was *not* to allow
the people to fight off "Indians" if the need
arose. It was to fight off THEIR OWN
GOVERNMENT if the need arose -- to be
able to keep a tyrant from taking over and
turning the country into the very type of
absolute monarchy they were rejecting with
the Constitution. *That* was the reasoning of
the founding fathers of America.

I'm no fan of guns in the hands of those who
don't have the know-how to use them sanely,
but one could make a case that there is more
of a need for this kind of "preventive" gun
ownership now in the U.S. than there was in
Jefferson's time.