I have a pal who learned TM but declined to
practice it because he did not want to have
one more thing in his life that he had to do.
It reminded me of a cartoon in an old National
Lampoon in which a woman is floating through
some unidentifed environment, thinking about
the addictions she has released as she pursues
her final liberation - from air. Turns out she's
under water, and is bent on overcoming her
need for oxygen.

I'm reminded of that cartoon because it seems
to me there are some things that are simply
necessary to life, and for some of us, meditation
may well be one of them.

Of course, you don't have to equate meditation
with sleeping and breathing. To me, it's like
hygiene: when I neglect to meditate, shower
or brush my teeth, I feel less fresh than I
would feel otherwise. The world doesn't cave
in, but it's not as if the practices make no
difference whatsoever.

I wonder if this incessant need to eat, sleep
and brush my teeth is healthy?