> Not to mention the "math" problem that there are so many more people
> alive today than any time in history. (Let me guess, other planets
> with people on them waiting to get on to earth?)

Yes,
Meher Baba said there were so many more people on earth now because
they wanted to be on earth at the same time as his incarnation.
 According to him there are 3 types of planets that people are
evolving on.  100% intellect - 0% heart, 75% intellect - 25% heart and
an EARTH 50% of both.            Earth is the only place one can get
God Realization
          (& if we succeed in destroying this earth, the next one
          is only 2/3s or 3/4 finished so everything will just have
          to wait until it's ready)
People from those other places really weren't quite ready for earth
but have come here and ARE responsible for those overly scientific
inventions that we can't quite handle.

For anyone doing longtime rounding with the TM technique I don't see
how you could NOT unstress past live experiences.  But it's like
counting your freckles or hairs on your head — not that useful a pasttime!

And having said that, let me talk abou them!
When the Sidhi program first started the flying room was FULL of NOISE
as past live stresses came out.   If anyone in German wondered why
some people were strictly SIMS (Students IMS) and other WYMS (World
Youth MS) the flying rooms gave the answer.  WYMS Germans were the
ones saying "Sieg Heil"  & other WWII language noise.   A strong
German lady I know used to agonize in the flying room.  "Die elefanten
sind en rustchen gekommen"  The elephants are sliding —based on the
horendous task of Hannibal getting getting elephants over the Alps to
fight ROME.
And I'd sure volunteer my ex as being General Patton! (but that's
archetypal)
I remember almost every great Philosopher, Poet, Scientist in Germany
being claimed by SOME teacher of TM...

I've unstressed well over 100 past lives & only one was even slightly
famous but
I can think of several reasons for people thinking they had been
famous people.

1. insanity
2. egotism (disease of individualized consciousness)

3. Archetypes  -  Some famous person like Napolean stands for the
archetype you're working on right now so you think I WAS that person.
Interesting
http://www.herowithin.com/arch101.html

4.  From the CLAN of,  or in the area at the same time as some famous one
If you lived under the protection of the CAMPBELL CLAN for instance
you might identify yourself with the head of them however you were
related.

5. Clear experiences of past impressions