> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> > TurquoiseB wrote:
> > >
> > > Give it up, guys. I know you mean well, but what
> > > you're doing is trying to explain the concept of
> > > gourmet food to someone who has been eating horse-
> > > meat tacos and frijoles so long that he has come
> > > to believe they *are* gourmet food.
> >
> > And here I thought he ate prairie dog tacos! Richard makes a
> > great punching bag some days but you're probably right you
> > can't knock any sense into him.
>
> I'm not talking about Richard per se. I'm talking
> about the impossibility of the task of trying to
> convey what you're talking about to someone who
> has never experienced it.
>
> > Most of everything in the meditation method of TM can
> > be found in a book or two published by Swami Sivananda in
> > the 1930s and that is just one example. The reason so many
> > teachers give shaktipat as part of the meditation
> > instruction is so the student can instantly transcend
> > and it sets up the mind for transcending with practicing
> > the mantra.
>
> I can completely understand what you're talking
> about, because I've been there, done that. I've
> been in rooms where the teacher just zapped
> everyone into samadhi and then got up and left,
> and it was over an hour before anyone in the
> room could open their eyes and figure out that
> he *had* left. :-)
>
> But how do you explain that to someone who has
> never experienced it, and who, *in addition to*
> never having experienced it, has been indoctrin-
> ated for decades that the little they *are*
> experiencing is "the highest path," and that
> all other spiritual paths are lesser than their
> own? It just doesn't compute for them. To even
> be able to *hear* what you're saying they'd
> have to get over their indoctrination enough
> to admit to themselves the possibility that
> what you're saying *might* be true. And let's
> face it...after thirty+ *years* of that indoc-
> trination, that just ain't gonna happen.

It's probably just as difficult for those who
are convinced being "zapped" into samadhi by a
teacher (especially if they then get "locked
into their asana" and have to be put in a
"special room" for days) is the spiritual cat's
meow to admit to themselves the possibility that
this may not actually be the most advantangeous
approach to enlightenment.