<snip>
> Others may read the story and see no parallels
> whatsoever to spiritual communities that seem
> to close themselves off from the world. I do.
> Call me an old populist, but in my book building
> fences between yourself and the world -- no matter
> what the supposedly laudable reasons for doing
> so may be -- is still building fences between
> yourself and the world.

Ooh, Barry still doesn't get it. As both I and
Alex have pointed out, the SUV fences are
obviously not designed to close the world out.

In fact, the fences around most non-SUV homes
are more protective than these are; they usually
have a gate at the front (and are frequently
higher and less easily penetrated).

Fences around homes generally are very common
in the West. They're by no means unique to SUV
or even to spiritual communities.

You may not like fences on general principles,
and that's OK, but it's really, *really* silly
to make believe your distaste has any special
relevance to SUV/spiritual communities.