On Jul 25, 2007, at 9:09 PM, new.morning wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2007, at 10:17 AM, new.morning wrote:
>
> > Can you absolutely know that it's true?
>

> I hate to bring up what seems obvious to me, but there are objective
> ways to test states of enlightenment which have been used
> successfully for thousands of years. These are simple tests. If you
> claim to be enlightened thru an approach that used samadhi--nitya-
> samadhi (permanent samadhi, CC) as MMY called it, it is easy to test.
> Rather recently there was a rather famous western Tibetan Buddhist
> who claimed a high stage of enlightenment and it was interesting the
> type of verification they used. The person had to be capable of
> performing certain siddhis at will. When he did not meet any of the
> criteria, HHDL's office issued a statement essentially saying this
> person was not who he claimed to be.

I hate to bring up what seems obvious to me, but ..

I hope you can see through the mass of assumptions you cling to to
make the above assertion.

It's really a matter of experience, although to you there might seem to be some assumptions. Or so you assume. ;-)

I also see, from just listening to what people on this list say, that most are not even barely aware of the basic assumptions behind a yogic approach to advaita and what those assumptions really, practically mean. Unfortunately this also means people who make wild claims and never even realize the implications which are implied, can be rather obviously blind-sided.