Comment below:

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MMY took the essential teachings of the Sanatana Dharma of India
> (eternal Religion of the Vedas)and made them into a science.
>
> In order to do this he had to sever certain parts of Patanjali's
> teachings in order to teach it as a Science. Limbs 1 and 2 are NOT
> being taught by the TMorg, but MMY concedes they are necessary in
his
> BG and must be practiced simultaneously with the other 6. (page 363)
> Limbs 1 and 2 are *Religious* in nature!
>
> The reason he did it was to reach as many as possible by tailoring
it
> to meet the needs (or mentality) of the day, some compromises were
> made, but essentially TM is yoga-lite for modernity.

**end**

This (above) is a good capsule of what Maharishi's original
intentions were, I feel, when he started teaching in the west.  Yoga
is so empirical in nature and practice and most religions promulgate
most, if not all, of the elements contained in the yamas and niyamas
that Maharishi could have very reasonably felt that any individual
following the tenets of their culture and religion while at the same
time practicing TM would get the substance of Patanjali's 8 limbs.
It was a nice and emminently practical scheme.