On Mon, 20 May 2002, Abi Lover wrote:

> I have just read the text of the final draft of this standard, and the
> only thing that I disagree with is the omission of the "heh" with
> "hamzeh" above from the standard. This shape is used quite a lot in
> Farsi, and I can't understand the reason for its omission. This letter
> form is not any different from "vav" with "hamzeh" above, or "alef" with
> "hamzeh" above, and I can't understand why these glyphs should be
> allowed, but "heh" with "hamzeh" above should be disallowed, especially
> since a Unicode number (06C0) has also been designated for it. It is not
> correct to say that this letter form only applies to Arabic or Urdu. It
> is used as much in Farsi as in other languages.

You are completely right that the shape is used in Persian. Apart from
what Mr Khanban said, there is another reason: U+06C0 is exactly
equivalent to (or in Unicode terms, cannonically decomposes to) <U+06D5,
U+0654>, which is <ARABIC LETTER AE, ARABIC HAMZA ABOVE>, but not to
<ARABIC LETTER HEH, ARABIC HAMZA ABOVE>. We cannot let the applications
use both forms <U+06C0> or <HEH, HAMZA ABOVE>, when Unicode does not
consider them equivalent. In the case of WAW WITH HAMZA ABOVE, it is
exactly equivalent to <WAW, HAMZA ABOVE>, so we allow both forms.

roozbeh