On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, C Bobroff wrote:

> Speaking of Windows, I have heard unsubstantiated reports that even with
> WinXP, the "yeh" (06CC--on the "d" key) works great in some editing
> programs such as Word but even on the same computer, fails to work in
> other programs.
        ^^^^^^^^
That will be correct if you replace with "when using other fonts". The Yeh
problem is font-specific, and if I recall correctly, some of the Windows
XP's Arabic fonts still have that bug.

> Also, it's true that the fonts have been corrected concerning the yeh.
> However, the people in the Microsoft Typography dept who have removed the
> free font downloads don't seem to know that there is no way to legally
> obtain the corrected fonts (unless they "upgrade".)

They may not know, but there *is* a way to legally obtain the corrected
fonts. For an example, please see:

        http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

> Just curious: What if you are searching for an Arabic  word but you are
> inputting your search in FA mode (maybe you are more familiar with the
> keyboard layout, etc.)  Since some of the yeh forms in Arabic and Persian
> are identical (in appearance) but have different unicode values, will this
> not adversely affect your search?

This will affect your search and find all the other Yehs also. In the case
this is not desired, you should be able to turn off this magic as an
option, like the uppercase/lowercase searching option in many search
boxes.

roozbeh