Hi, I believe BW80 and BW40 are EGA/mono and CGA/mono modes,
while MONO is used for HGC and MDA. Indeed, HGC has a fixed
font as far as I can tell, but if you have MSHERC or similar
loaded, you have modes 8/similar which are graphical but have
the BIOS draw character stuff done by the driver. THEN you
could change the font - by writing your own MSHERC (MSHERC
seems to be used by some MS programming languages as a helper).

And I believe MDA has no graphics or anything, thus no user fonts.

Eric.