they make that stuff called 'kilz' that is supposed to seal in any smell......... but i don't know if you could put vinyl on top of it since it's a sealer.

here they laid down the concrete backerboard stuff.  they had pulled up carpet and it was plain plywood underneath.

wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You were right to think that Jen. Thank the good Lord
that I mentioned I would be sealing the concrete
floors before laying concrete to the Home Depot guy
today. He nearly had a conniption fit. He said that
the porosity of the concrete is how the tile glue
adheres to the concrete. Take away the porosity, and
the tiles won't stick! So I am soooo glad I got that
tidbit of info. So now I have to find another way to
get that nasty smell out of the porous concrete. I
guess I will try everything for the next week or so,
including bleach, enzymes, vinegar, whatever... lol.
Actually, I don't think bleach works. Another
thing-we're not looking forward to moving our 55 gal.
aquarium. That will be a job! 1 gallon of water
equals about ten pounds, so needless to say, we'll be
emptying some water out. lol.

:)
Wendy