From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:26 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: VO dosing question and Lucy update

So there are two different dosings (at least) for VO: The FIP dosing is
every other day. The FeLV dosing is every day for 5 days then repeat
later. I have a total of 4 doses and won't get more until next week at
the earliest.  So my question for you guys who have used VO is: Do you
think I should do the every other day dose so as to have enough to
complete it, or should I do the every day dose for 4 days instead of 5
for the first run of it?  I gave it to her yesterday. I am trying to
decide whether to give it to her today or to wait until tomorrow.

The oncologist called and said the cytology does not support a finding
of lymphoma or any kind of cancer (cytology was fluid in belly and
biopsy of enlarged abdominal lymph node-- the node is just reactive,
i.e. swollen because she fighting something).  I have not heard from the
internist yet, but assume that if they had concluded something the
oncologist would have told me?  So I am trying to deal with this
unconventionally, since no one knows what is wrong, via feline
interferon and hopefully acemannan, and considering epogen if her HCT
goes lower or does not improve on the VO and hopefully acemannan (though
I may not be able to get acemannan in time).  Would love your assistance
in figuring out which dosing of VO to use, since my vet had never even
heard of VO before much less has recommendations about dosing.  Also, if
anyone knows how to get acemannan at this point please tell me.  I am
trying to decide about epogen, because it does seem like many cats get
their HCT raised by epogen only to then have the HCT crash again when
their body eventually rejects the epogen. Obviously it is still a good
choice if the HCT is crashing anyway, but if there is a chance of the VO
and acemannan raising it I would like to try that first, if there is
time.  The big confusing thing is what is the fluid in her belly-- no
one seems to know.

Lucy is feverish again now, so gave her fluids, but she was walking
around the house at 5 am this morning and has eaten a little wet i/d and
baby food this morning. I saw her groom herself a little as well.  She's
not good-- she is getting that cancer-like thin look and her fur does
not look good-- but she is not god-awful either at this point, thank
god. i want to try to keep her from getting that way if possible.

the internist will probably recommend exploratory surgery, which I do
not want to do. does anyone think i should?

Thanks,

Michelle