Jennifer,
Barring, of course, an underlying physical problem - you may want to combat
this on two fronts:  First - you've got to totally get rid of the scent so
that he can't smell it so those places don't remained marked as a good place
to 'go'.  (I've had good luck with 'urine gone').  Second - I totaly agree
with those who mentioned Feliway..

*Feliway* (Comfort Zone) spray and diffusers prevent cats from urinating
where they shouldn't. This fantastic new pheromone Feliway spray or diffuser
duplicates the smell of a cat's natural scent glands. Cats will not soil
anything close to where Feliway has been sprayed.

EntirelyPets.com has the best price I've seen:
http://entirelypets.stores.yahoo.net/fel60mlspray.html

They have the diffusers too (which I use as well) but the spray is really
good for targeting problem areas.

Feliway is also great for preventing claw sharpening on inappropriate items.