Aw, thanks for asking Wendy!

  I'm doing okay.  The first several days after Slinky went to the bridge I
really thought I was doing great!  But the last few nights have been pretty
rough.  The guilt and "what-if's" started 2 nights ago - "if I'd caught the UTI
sooner, gotten him in sooner - and to a better vet, done more, paid closer
attention, etc."...  In my head I know that's not true, but as someone else
said, grief is not logical...and neither is guilt!

  I really started mourning Slink when I first found out how sick he was...but
I think at that point I was mourning the loss of a friend, a companion, someone
to keep me company.  Now I think I'm mourning the loss of SLINKY...his
personality, his sweetness, the amazing bond we had.  Those are the things I
can't ever get back, despite being able to get new friends, etc.  So...it's a
process I guess I have to go through, but it's not fun!  I cried myself to
sleep twice this week - holding his favorite pillow and petting the stuffed cat
that looks like him (tho he's way too small).

  People have been fabulously supportive, though.  The vet sent me a card with
a very sweet note shortly after our appointment, and yesterday I got cards in
the mail from 2 friends.  Everyone's been checking on me and MC and Barb have
been talking to me almost 24/7!!!!  (THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!).  It's so great
to have family and friends help you through these times.

  Despite all the grief, I know Slink would not want me to be alone (he knows I
need some babies to take care of me! lol) and I promised him I would give a
good home to other cats.  So I've begun looking for 2 new furbabes to adopt.  I
actually applied for 2 at the Washington Animal Rescue League:
  http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8110889

  http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8136096

  When I went to visit them again yesterday, one of the staff mentioned that
they have a lot of apps in for Patience and that they were already leaning
toward someone before I came along, so it sounds like I may not end up with
her.  But she said there weren't many in on Rufus...because his condition is
scarier.  I pointed out that I work in disability rights - it takes a lot to
scare me! lol  They seemed to think this one (below) would be a good match for
Rufus since he's pretty quiet.

  http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8136115

  I've decided I definitely want special needs kitties...but I just can't do
another terminal illness (such as felv) again right now.  I don't have the
emotional resources...nor the financial.  And now that I understand the
potential costs of treatments, etc. I don't think it would be very responsible
of me to take in a + cat knowing I can't afford to pay for what they may
(probably will) need.  It's beginning to seem, though, that the special needs
kitties are fairly popular...so I'd be willing to take in a healthy,
"middle-aged" cat who's having trouble getting adopted as well.

  I'll let you all know what happens with the applications...and I know you all
will love them even if they're not positive!  ;)

  Thank you all so much for being here!  This list has been my lifeline and I
know I couldn't get through this stuff without you!!!  I hope all your
furbabies are doing well!!!

  MJ and Angel Slinky  :)

wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hey Marissa,

How are you doing today? You sound pretty upbeat in
your posts, so I hope you're feeling good. Slinky is
probably so happy to see you doing well, watching you
from the top of his 'tree in the sky'.

:)
Wendy

world: Indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"
~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

 with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.