________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marissa
Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:56 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Hi Marissa

Aw, thanks for asking Wendy!

I'm doing okay.  The first several days after Slinky went to the bridge
I really thought I was doing great!  But the last few nights have been
pretty rough.  The guilt and "what-if's" started 2 nights ago - "if I'd
caught the UTI sooner, gotten him in sooner - and to a better vet, done
more, paid closer attention, etc."...  In my head I know that's not
true, but as someone else said, grief is not logical...and neither is
guilt!

I really started mourning Slink when I first found out how sick he
was...but I think at that point I was mourning the loss of a friend, a
companion, someone to keep me company.  Now I think I'm mourning the
loss of SLINKY...his personality, his sweetness, the amazing bond we
had.  Those are the things I can't ever get back, despite being able to
get new friends, etc.  So...it's a process I guess I have to go through,
but it's not fun!  I cried myself to sleep twice this week - holding his
favorite pillow and petting the stuffed cat that looks like him (tho
he's way too small).

People have been fabulously supportive, though.  The vet sent me a card
with a very sweet note shortly after our appointment, and yesterday I
got cards in the mail from 2 friends.  Everyone's been checking on me
and MC and Barb have been talking to me almost 24/7!!!!  (THANKS
GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!).  It's so great to have family and friends help you
through these times.

Despite all the grief, I know Slink would not want me to be alone (he
knows I need some babies to take care of me! lol) and I promised him I
would give a good home to other cats.  So I've begun looking for 2 new
furbabes to adopt.  I actually applied for 2 at the Washington Animal
Rescue League:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8110889

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8136096

When I went to visit them again yesterday, one of the staff mentioned
that they have a lot of apps in for Patience and that they were already
leaning toward someone before I came along, so it sounds like I may not
end up with her.  But she said there weren't many in on Rufus...because
his condition is scarier.  I pointed out that I work in disability
rights - it takes a lot to scare me! lol  They seemed to think this one
(below) would be a good match for Rufus since he's pretty quiet.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8136115

I've decided I definitely want special needs kitties...but I just can't
do another terminal illness (such as felv) again right now.  I don't
have the emotional resources...nor the financial.  And now that I
understand the potential costs of treatments, etc. I don't think it
would be very responsible of me to take in a + cat knowing I can't
afford to pay for what they may (probably will) need.  It's beginning to
seem, though, that the special needs kitties are fairly popular...so I'd
be willing to take in a healthy, "middle-aged" cat who's having trouble
getting adopted as well.

I'll let you all know what happens with the applications...and I know
you all will love them even if they're not positive!  ;)

Thank you all so much for being here!  This list has been my lifeline
and I know I couldn't get through this stuff without you!!!  I hope all
your furbabies are doing well!!!

MJ and Angel Slinky  :)

wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Hey Marissa,

        How are you doing today? You sound pretty upbeat in
        your posts, so I hope you're feeling good. Slinky is
        probably so happy to see you doing well, watching you
        from the top of his 'tree in the sky'.

        :)
        Wendy

        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
can change the world: Indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"
        ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

____________

________________________________

<http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail&#news>