Hi Quentin,
I'm sure more than a couple of us will get back to you
on this post, as there are a couple things you said
here some of us might know about and want to comment
on.  I'm only going to give you feedback on the $$
issue.
I live in Nebraska, farm country. We have always been
able to purchase our cat/dog vaccinations over the
counter, everything except the rabies vaccine. They
want the animals documented for rabies, so that must
go through the vet.
I noticed about a year ago, the Feline Leukemia
vaccine must also now be given by your vet. You can no
longer buy it over the counter. In the past, I would
administer all my vaccinations to my cats and dog,
except the rabies. The over the counter cost was
roughly $4.00 for the Feline
Rhinotracheitis-Calici-Panleukopenia-Chamydia Psittaci
Vaccine:( the Flu vaccine). Your kitten needs two of
these, spaced about a month apart, then a booster
every year...The Feline Leukemia Vaccine was about
$6.00.Your kitten needs two of these too...Then a
yearly booster...Things are changing a bit now and it
is thougt we might be over vaccinating...
 In the past, I boostered everyone, every year and
felt proud of myself for saving at least $40.00 per
cat. (I now have six cats...) (My cost to do it myself
was about 11.00 per cat.) The Leukemia vaccination
from the vet was close to $30.00 and the Feline
Rhino-combo was around $26.00. Some vets tack on that
office visit charge, as they might call it a check-up.
You can purchase your de-worming meds over the
counter, but it does help to know what type of worms
your cat might have , if any, and get the correct
wormer.  Your vet has the better wormers. ...As you
know, indoor and outdoor cat worming needs, are a lot
different.Outdoor cats are constantly getting
tapeworms,for example...
Quentin, I noticed the other day Foster and Smith
sells different vaccines through the mail , as I'm
sure a lot of other pet suppliers do. However, I
believe it depends on which state you are in and what
their laws are...I noticed with the Foster and Smith
catalog they were asking for a prescription from your
vet...
I do wonder why, all of the sudden, the laws have
changed in Nebraska where we can no longer purchase
the Feline Leukemia Vaccine over the counter. I think
this is a very bad change, because now, the
responsible farmers, with large cat populations might
bypass vaccinating their farm cats completely, for
Leukemia...The  FeLV vaccination from the vet is
26.00- 33.00 here in Nebraska. The FeLv/FIV test is,
$ 33.00-$42.00 in my area...
Spay and neuter is getting more expensive too. Spay is
around $125.00 Neuter is around, $85.00. They are also
adding pain management and some type of blood gas test
before the spay/neuter to make sure your animal will
survive the procedure...These tests add another $60.00
or so on to the bill? You can always bypass these
services and say, not to worry about pain management
or ah, let's just see if my animal can make it through
the spay /neuter and not die...like they make you feel
like a bad parent or something, if you refuse those
little add ons...I know I want to be a good parent ,so
I'm stuck...
You might have a heart to heart with your vet and ask
him to take it a little easier on you, especially
since you are dealing with a FeLV+ kitty and it is
really hard right now. I know a lot of vets really try
and help shelter animals out and maybe they are
picking up their losses charging their customers so
much. Tell your vet you are working with curing your
kitty and tell him you have a great group of people on
this list and you are a bio major...the whole thing
and this is a project of love for you...And, actually
since you are so hands on here your vet should be
willing to work with you on this...Your vet might
learn something...JUST A THOUGHT..I think you do
deserve a break...Bless your heart and good luck with
your kitty. HANG IN THERE!
Glenda

=== message truncated ===

FareChase.