From: wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:16:25 AM
Subject: Re: Valtrex toxic for cats or effective FeLV treatment

Hi Quentin,

Welcome to the group.

Bad idea on the Valtrex.  Don't give your kitty any medication that your vet
has not recommended.  I have never heard of Valtrex being used on cats.
Asparin and Ibuprofen are also no-no's, FYI.  I have a cat that was diagnosed
with feline herpes and had a bad corneal ulcer that we could not get rid of
with the meds the vet gave us, including antivirals.  She only had one eye to
begin with and we almost lost the other one!  We finally started giving her 500
mg 2x per day of lysine with no additives (especially propynol glycol, which
can cause blood issues) into her wet food and the ulcer went away!  It was
wonderful!  So I definitely recommend lysine for any kitties with viruses.

Your kitty has about a 40% chance to fight off this virus and seroconvert.
Give her about 3 months before you retest her again with an IFA test.  Which
test did the vet do on her?  Elisa or IFA?  Elisa can give a false positive and
is what most vets use in-house.  You might ask your vet about this.

Also, feeding her a high quality diet with supplements like lysine, and keeping
her environment stress-free and the two most important factors in helping kitty
to seroconvert and keeping the virus at bay if she doesn't.  Even if your kitty
does not seroconvert, there are some kitties who live long lives, especially if
these two factors are taken care of.  There is a kitty at the Best Friends
Animal Sanctuary that is FeLV+ and 22 yrs. old!

:)
Wendy
Dallas, TX

world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~