I used epogen (same thing as procrit) when my Bailey was anemic along with prenisolone because we suspected the virus was in his bone marrow supressing his immune system and interfering with blood building. We reversed his anemia with this combo.

Procrit used in humans is at a much, much higher does and shouldn't scare anyone off from using it with cats that are anemic, any cats with CRF end up using it in the later stages as the kidney disease eventually interferes with the production of erythropoietin which the Epogen, Procrit and the new drug called Aranesp help to produce.

In my mind your cat WILL die if the enemia isn't reversed period, so if there is something that may help what have you got to lose??

Below paragraph my opinion (based on what my vet told me when I asked her about this):

PS. Has your cat been on a minimum 4 to 6 week course of Doxocycline for possible hemobartonella? Even if he tested negative he should have gotten this (my opinion). Hemo is very hard to test for and many cats tests negative again and again before it is finally found. Though they are never cured of hemo the doxy will put it into remission. If they don't have it it isn't going to hurt to get the doxy but my very well save their life if they have an undiagnosed case of hemo.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com