Vanderbilt is a private school.  The system in TN is sort of unique, I
believe.  We have the University of Tennessee system, which governs the UT
schools: Knoxville, Chattanooga, Martin.

We also have the Tennessee Board of Regents system that governs Tennessee
State University (our other land grant school-Memphis I think), Austin Peay
State University (middle TN-Clarksville), Middle Tennessee State University
(Murfreesboro), East Tennessee State University (NE TN, Johnson City), and
Tennessee Technological University (Middle TN-  Crossville).