I am wondering what Whisper's RBC/packed cell volume is.  I am also wondering
if the drooling you are describing is thick, stringy saliva?  If so, this is
possibly an indication of dehydration.  When we discovered our cat was felv+,
she had the classic anemia leading to lethargy and unwillingness to eat.  This
was addressed with ONLY prednisone injection and pills, which pushed the virus
into remission and she was perfectly healthy for about 2 1/2 yrs., had a mild
bout with anemia, then another severe bout with anemia about 6 months after
that.  This time they tried Depo-Medrol (we had moved and had another vet),
which did NOTHING.  We also tried Interferon, which did nothing.  I insisted on
another prednisolone injection, and she immediately went into remission again.
That was almost 4 years ago, and she hasn't come out of remission since.  So
she's lived for over 7 years after being diagnosed positive.  And she was 8
when she was diagnosed.  Also, I was told that a first test for leukemia may
not be accurate and that a second should always be done.  I don't remember if
that depends on the kind of test, or what.  If it was me, I would do my own
research the best I could, ask questions, perhaps get a second opinion but
definitely pursue finding the cause.  Personally, to me, it does sound like it
could be something other than leukemia.  I wish you luck.  I know the stress
you are under worrying about your kitty and what is best to do, and who to
trust.