View full size

???

View full size

For those of you without the history, Whitey came to me about six months ago
relatively permanently.? She showed up and just sort of stayed.? When she came,
she was boney (You could feel its ribs) and her long white fur was literally in
huge mats all over her body. After months of feeding and brushing, I got her
fur cleaned up and she put on a few pounds.? Last night I went? to feed her and
found her so disoriented she couldn't even stand up, so Jeff took her to the
vet this morning, and this is where the story picks up...

Ok, guys.? Jeff just got back from the vet with Whitey.? Here's what we learned.
(Pictures Attached.)

?

"She" is a "He"? LOL

?

He is about 10-12 years old.

?

He has not been neutered. :(

?

He has a severe inner-ear infection.

?

He has a grade 3 heart murmur

?

He has advanced/severe gingivitis.? Needs several teeth pulled.

?

FeLV/FIV NEGATIVE. (Thank God for something!)

?

He also has hyperthyroidism.? They found a benign tumor on his thyroid.

?

We're starting with oral antibiotics to get the ear infection cleaned up.? They
drew blood for a thyroid and kidney check, as well as a fecal sample.??? Doc
wants to get the ear infection cleared up before we start with thyroid medicine
and such to make sure its not the infection causing all those other
problems.??? He also wanted to wait on vaccines until we get everything else
cleared up.? They cleaned his ears and clipped his nails today.? He's going
back for vaccines/teeth pulling when we get the infection cleared up.

Now here's the dilemma.? First of all, I'm starting to feel bad about "taking"
someone else's cat.? He just wandered to the house and sorta stayed, but he
does go "home" from time to time for a few hours, but is always at teh house at
night and in the morning for food.? I *think* I know who he belongs to, but I'm
not certain.? The vet says he must stay indoors (at least for now) due to the
severe infection and his imbalance, otherwise they said he couldn't run from
cats/dogs or cars, he's very much at risk right now, so he's going in my Sun
Room, which I suppose will become the "kitty suite."? What do you guys? think??
I don't think I should feel bad for taking him, for the simple fact that if
someone is so irresponsible a pet owner that they'd let him get in that shape,
do they really care or deserve to own an animal?? I really do think its in HIS
best interest that he stays with me, but again, he doesn't technically "belong"
to me, so its a dilemma.? What do you guys think??

Another issue I'm having is his FeLV negative status.?? With two positives in
the house, what do I do?? For now he's going to be isolated in the sunroom
where he's safe, but if I keep him long term, should I let him back outdoors? I
just don't know what to do.? I really don't feel good about mixing him with the
positives and exposing him to FeLV.? My other negative had already been exposed
before I knew.? But this is a totally different situation.? I could keep him
isolated til he's better, then let him back out, that's one option. Another
option is mixing :(? I really can't see leaving him in the sunroom the rest of
his life, that just wouldn't be fair.? I'd appreciate input/opinions, guys.

Michael

http://mail.aol.com