As far as the "feeling guilty" is concerned--anyone who lets their cat get into 
that condition doesn't deserve to have an animal of any type.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 11:31 AM
  Subject: Whitey

  View full size     
  View full sizeFor those of you without the history, Whitey came to me about 
six months ago relatively permanently.  She showed up and just sort of stayed.  
When she came, she was boney (You could feel its ribs) and her long white fur 
was literally in huge mats all over her body. After months of feeding and 
brushing, I got her fur cleaned up and she put on a few pounds.  Last night I 
went  to feed her and found her so disoriented she couldn't even stand up, so 
Jeff took her to the vet this morning, and this is where the story picks up...

  Ok, guys.  Jeff just got back from the vet with Whitey.  Here's what we 
  (Pictures Attached.)

  "She" is a "He"  LOL

  He is about 10-12 years old.

  He has not been neutered. :(

  He has a severe inner-ear infection.

  He has a grade 3 heart murmur

  He has advanced/severe gingivitis.  Needs several teeth pulled.

  FeLV/FIV NEGATIVE. (Thank God for something!)

  He also has hyperthyroidism.  They found a benign tumor on his thyroid.

  We're starting with oral antibiotics to get the ear infection cleaned up.  
They drew blood for a thyroid and kidney check, as well as a fecal sample.    
Doc wants to get the ear infection cleared up before we start with thyroid 
medicine and such to make sure its not the infection causing all those other 
problems.    He also wanted to wait on vaccines until we get everything else 
cleared up.  They cleaned his ears and clipped his nails today.  He's going 
back for vaccines/teeth pulling when we get the infection cleared up.

  Now here's the dilemma.  First of all, I'm starting to feel bad about 
"taking" someone else's cat.  He just wandered to the house and sorta stayed, 
but he does go "home" from time to time for a few hours, but is always at teh 
house at night and in the morning for food.  I *think* I know who he belongs 
to, but I'm not certain.  The vet says he must stay indoors (at least for now) 
due to the severe infection and his imbalance, otherwise they said he couldn't 
run from cats/dogs or cars, he's very much at risk right now, so he's going in 
my Sun Room, which I suppose will become the "kitty suite."  What do you guys  
think?  I don't think I should feel bad for taking him, for the simple fact 
that if someone is so irresponsible a pet owner that they'd let him get in that 
shape, do they really care or deserve to own an animal?  I really do think its 
in HIS best interest that he stays with me, but again, he doesn't technically 
"belong" to me, so its a dilemma.  What do you guys think?  

  Another issue I'm having is his FeLV negative status.   With two positives in 
the house, what do I do?  For now he's going to be isolated in the sunroom 
where he's safe, but if I keep him long term, should I let him back outdoors? I 
just don't know what to do.  I really don't feel good about mixing him with the 
positives and exposing him to FeLV.  My other negative had already been exposed 
before I knew.  But this is a totally different situation.  I could keep him 
isolated til he's better, then let him back out, that's one option. Another 
option is mixing :(  I really can't see leaving him in the sunroom the rest of 
his life, that just wouldn't be fair.  I'd appreciate input/opinions, guys.


  Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail!

Reply via email to