From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:18:38 PM
Subject: Day 3

Ok, guys, here's the update for the day. First of all, I am even more convinced
now, and I stand by my decision to not contact his previous "owners." I just
can't imagine anything good coming out of it.  This boy is too special to have
to go back to that mess, and I'm afraid if I did let him go or call them,they'd
snatch him up and stick him in a cage or something, and I'm just not willing to
risk that.  He would come to my house for days at a time anyway, and they never
once looked for him, and they still haven't since he "disappeared" two days
ago. Because I know for a fact he hasn't been home because he's been in my
sunroom.  This is a unique situation in that I KNOW he didn't just "get away"
from his owners and get in this shape.  I've seen him for the last two years in
the neighborhood, and the last six months he's been coming to my house every
morning and every night.  This was just blatant neglect.  My heart is too heavy
to even think of letting
 him get back in that shape again.  I really do have such feelings for these
guys.  Someone has to be a voice for them.  I used to feel bad about
volunteering and putting so much energy into animals when there are so many
horrible conditions and diseases afflicting our fellow human beings, but the
last few days I've come to an important realization, and that is someone has to
look out for our companions, too!  There are lots of people who work on human
charities and advocate for research and development (and I don't think you'll
ever see a huge difference in modern disease treatment/management until you see
a fundamental shift in Washington and the drug companies and HMOs lose
significant control over research and development, but I digress, that's
another topic altogther.)  But animals, who will be their voice?  Someone needs
to fight for them, and my extreme sensitivity makes me suitable for that.  I
swear, I can't even bear the thought of killing a
 mouse.  I have no-kill traps.  This may sound corny, but I even avoid
squishing bugs if I can.  I'll generally scoop them up and take them outside.
I just believe in the inherent sanctity of life...all life, regardless of its
form, is precious, and should be preserved.

As for King Blanco the Mighty Whitey (lol, I can't decide!  Jeff still says he
is a "she" and "her" name is Whitey!) and his condition, he's continuing to do
well.

He pooped last night.  I was so excited. :)

His Baytril dose is half of a 22.7mg tablet daily for 14 days.  No diarrhea or
other problems yet, but I'll keep an eye out for sure, and I'll look into the
probiotics.  His eyes/pupils are fine, I'm keeping a close watch on him for the
dilation concerns mentioned.  His balance seems to be getting a little better,
but he still has a long way to go.  Jeff set up his "tent" in the sunroom last
night, and put a heating pad in it.  He's quite cozy.  He's been on it all
night and day.  I have the webcam set up where I can keep an eye on him from
work.  I'm gonna include a link to it and post instructions at the bottom for
anyone who's interested :)  We're expecting the lab results in tomorrow.  I'll
be sure to let you all know as soon as I hear about them. Oh, and by the way, I
misunderstood Jeff.  Dr. Dolen has not actually diagnosed Hyperthyroidism, he
just said it was likely with the thyroid tumor. We should know about that by
Friday.  We'll also know more
 about the heart murmur. The vet didn't do any vaccinations because he wanted
to wait on the bloodwork (probably to check for heart disease, as someone here
mentioned.)  Anyway, here's the webcam and instructions if anyone wants to
"peek" at Whitey.  Look in the "tent" on the right side of the screen, that
white dot inside is my boy :)  Like I said, it really is a "storage" room right
now, so please look over and excuse the mess :(  I'm gonna work on getting it
cleaned up this weekend I hope.

Camera Internet address:

    http://camera.115cr339.ourlinksys.com

Web Browser - You can View Video using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.  When
you click View Video, an "ActiveX"component (OCX file) will need to be
downloaded and installed on your PC. You will be prompted to install this OCX
file if this file is not present in your system.

You'll see one of those yellow bars across the top of the window, right below
the address bar (or tab bar if you're on internet Explorer 7 that says "Click
here to Install ActiveX Control...."  You'll need to click on it, and then when
the other window pops up that asks about installing it, click on the Install
button.

Note: The Wireless-B Internet Video Camera supports a maximum of 4 users
simultaneously. I don't think that will ever be a problem, but if several of
you get this email at once and it doesn't load, you'll know just try again in a
few minutes.  I'm gonna close my connection to free it up til I get home.

Thanks as always for listening to my rambling.  Oh, and for the record, a
website is still in my plans for the not-too-distant future, so hopefully it
will be coming eventually.

~Michael

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.