Well, just fyi, This is the Emancipet's story and Board of Directors (including a couple of lawyers, I think - I noticed that Debbie Ramirez is a lawyer.)

http://emancipet.org/aboutus.htm

Board of Directors Chair Roy Sosa Secretary Debbie Ramirez Treasurer Jeff Hufford   Christine Gerlach Veronica Forsyth Dr. Mark Hartwell, DVM Melanie McLeroy Melissa Squyres Selena Sierra   Advisory Board Suzi Sosa William McLeroy Mike Ferrer

History

Dr. Ellen Jefferson created EmanciPET Mobile Spay/Neuter Clinic in 1999. Dr. Jefferson had spent many years volunteering at shelters and fostering rescued animals, and she felt that her abilities as a veterinarian would be used most effectively if she could prevent unwanted animals from being born in the first place. EmanciPET was conceived as a high-volume, low-cost spay and neuter clinic that would be able to serve many different populations through its mobility. Low prices for spay and neuter surgeries provided an added incentive for pet owners unable or unwilling to pay conventional fees for these services. Since 1999, over 35,000 animals have been sterilized within the mobile hospital alone.   In April 2005 the City of Austin donated a building for use as a stationary clinic. The building, EmanciPET World Headquarters, is located in southeast Austin within the City of Austin Health and Human Services complex at 7201 Levander Loop. Since opening the stationary clinic in 2005, EmanciPET has continued to operate its mobile clinic while steadily expanding capacity for services at EmanciPET World Headquarters.

Partners

EmanciPET relies on the cooperation and support of other Austin-area animal welfare organizations in pursuing the shared goal of a humane community.

The City of Austin

Since 2001, the City of Austin has funded two "free days" each week for pet owners who are residents of East Austin. Currently, East Austin residents who visit our mobile clinic on Friday or Saturday can receive free spay or neuter surgery, rabies vaccinations, city registration and microchipping for their pets. In addition to providing the building for our stationary clinic, the City of Austin allocates $80,000 per year for these free services in East Austin. This partnership has resulted in a significant decrease in the number of animal intakes at Town Lake Animal Center for the zip codes targeted by the program.*   *EmanciPet determines which areas are “target” by using socioeconomic data as well as intake statistics given by our local shelters. Not surprisingly, the absence of regular veterinary hospitals is usually indicative of a target area.

Central Texas partners

A number of animal shelters and animal welfare organizations in central Texas use our services. Kyle PAWS, Lago Vista PAWS, and Pet Prevent A Litter (PALS) of central Texas have all used EmanciPET to handle free surgeries for low-income residents of their communities. EmanciPET performs surgeries for Georgetown Animal Shelter, Kyle PAWS shelter, Central Texas SPCA, Williamson County Humane Society, Elgin Humane Society, Bastrop Animal Control, Lockhart Animal Shelter, and Marble Falls SPCA. By working with us these shelters are able to sterilize hundreds of cats and dogs before they are adopted. Other affiliations include the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine, Spay Austin Coalition, and the S.N.I.P. (Spay Neuter Incentive Program) Coalition.
To visit the Spay Austin website, click here

To learn about S.N.I.P. click here

Clinic

EmanciPET World Headquarters, located in East Austin, fills appointments for pet owners who live in the area and also operates a shuttle vehicle to serve clients who live in surrounding communities. Our shuttle vans travel to communities within 30 minutes driving distance of our clinic, picking up pets at predetermined locations and bringing them back to the clinic for surgery on the same day. All pets who receive spay or neuter surgery at the clinic go home on the day of surgery­they are picked up by their owners at the clinic or returned to surrounding communities via the shuttle van in the late afternoon.

EmanciPET has a very high standard of care for the animals entrusted to us. Experienced veterinarians perform all spay and neuter surgeries, and each doctor is assisted by a team of three trained veterinary technicians. Because of the nature of our mission, EmanciPET’s stationary clinic does not operate like a regular vet clinic. Our veterinarians must perform many surgeries every day, and under most circumstances they do not meet the clients we serve. Our veterinary technicians are charged with building positive relationships with clients­obtaining background information, answering questions and educating clients about preventive health care. Because their role is especially important at EmanciPET, all our technicians undergo thorough, structured training and testing. The technicians who communicate with our clients truly understand the surgical process and the preventive health services we offer.

EmanciPET has spayed or neutered over 65,000 pets to date with very few complications and only 14 fatalities. We do understand, however the necessity of a proscribed emergency protocol. Dr. Ellen Jefferson, our founder and medical director, has always and continues to carry a pager by which clients can reach her with post op questions or concerns 24 hours a day. If there is a true emergency, and our stationary facility is not open or capable of dealing with the problem, EmanciPet maintains a relationship with a local emergency clinic and private hospital. This private clinic will examine and treat EmanciPET patients with postoperative complications at 50% or more off their regular fees.

7201 Levander Loop . #605 • AUSTIN , TEXAS 78702 • 512-587-SPAY (7729)