That sounds like good advice!  Usually, the agency I work with doesn't treat
with oral antibiotics for URI eye symptons, unless accompanied by the sneezing
(which the 4 kittens I had at labor day were all sneezin like crazy).  Tho the
B/W wasn't sneezing when I brought him home, his eyes looks so bad in the condo
that I wanted to really knock out the URI, so I decided to treat with an
antibiotic, but not Amoxy b/c he had that back in Sept.  That was my own
decision- the green eye discharge had me worried.  I don't think I will keep
him on the Clavamox more than 7 days tho, I just don't think it's necessary
anymore.  The agency I work with also seems to only have powdered Amoxy and
Clavamox for treating URIs?  I'm sure we could get Zithromax from one of our
vets, but if it's more expensive...well, you know how that goes.  However, the
woman who has been in charge of the group and is clearly burned out and
over-loaded (I have complained about her before)-- I took the kittens in
originally b/c she had no business having kittens at her house- she is going to
back off and step down and has realized she needs to stop being an
over-controlling hindrence basically.  Which is going to open the door to lots
of things and fresh thinking from me, with people who aren't over-controlling
that are willing to implement my ideas and better delegate the work...so
hopefully, I will be able to push for some better treatment protocols in the
very near future.  The reins have already been loosened a lot and I've already
been able to enact some positive changes.
-Caroline > Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:13:20 -0500> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Subject: Re: Question about URI contagion> > in
persians, who are predisposed to uri symptoms at any time, especially > in
shelter or new situations (stress, no noses to speak of anyway), > zithromax
has become the drug of choice: we don't even bother with the > others for cats
we pull from shelters, we just go for the zithro.> > the other thing is that
there's many causes for runny noses and goopy > eyes, and unless you actually
culture out the emissions, you can't be > sure what you're dealing with--might
just be that kitty's reaction to > stress, might be allergies , might be a
virus or bacteria. so once > they're responding and feeling better and want to
play with the others, > i figure that's the best medicine as long as they
aren't sneezing > constantly!> > MC> > > Gloria Lane wrote:> > If he were at my
house, I'd probably go ahead and mix him with the > > others. They've probably
already been exposed anyhow. Sounds like > > he's responded well to your loving
care. FYI - I also had good luck > > with a dose or two of Zithromax for
kittens with URI.> >> > Gloria> >> >> >> > On Nov 16, 2007, at 9:33 AM,
Caroline Kaufmann wrote:> >> >> Does anyone know how long a URI is contagious?
I picked up a B/W > >> approx. 6 mth old kitten from the adoption location last
Sat. b/c > >> he'd been suffering from a URI- mostly affecting the eyes (no >
>> sneezing) for 2-3 weeks and it just wasn't getting better. Poor > >> thing
had started to rub off the fur around his one eye from rubbing > >> at it so
much. I had this same kitten back at labor day for about 3 > >> weeks when I
took in 4 kittens who all had URIs in various degrees of > >> severity. He was
the oldest and he got well the fastest after > >> treatment with Amoxy and
Terramycin. Well, when he was added to the > >> "condo" at the store to be "on
display" for adoption, I guess the > >> stress of that shortly thereafter
brought the eye problems back and > >> he's been suffering off and on since
then. I tried to stop by as > >> much as possible to clean and treat his eyes,
but it's hard b/c the > >> store closes at 6:00. He is also one of those cats
"prone" to tear > >> stains regardless of a URI and with the white fur on his
face, he > >> looks really bad being on display with tear stains and eye funk
(he > >> looked sick- which looks bad for our no-kill agency), so I decided to
> >> take him home and put in him the downstairs room and just not mix him > >>
at all with my other two fosters Yoda and LeeRoy. Well, I've had him > >> since
last Sat. and this time, he's on Clavamox (and Terramycin in > >> the eyes) and
I'm feeding him tons of wet food (Wellness kitten)- > >> they only get dry at
the store- and pumping him full of supplements. > >> He gets to run around the
house when I am home b/c the other foster > >> kittens have a big room to romp,
so they stay closed in there and > >> away from him But, I know he's lonely and
needs some > >> kitty-socialization and he and Yoda may remember each other!
He's > >> doing SO MUCH better- it's unreal. I know it's probably mostly > >>
because he is having fun, not stressed, eating like a piggy and > >> getting
love (that probably helps more than the meds...sigh). *So, > >> if he is no
longer having inflamed red eye tissue and green > >> discharge, is he okay to
mingle now? He's not sneezing and he > >> doesn't really have any eye discharge
at all*, besides his regular > >> eye boogers that he is prone to getting. He
does not act like a sick > >> cat (runs around like a maniac). I haven't seen
green eye funk since > >> the day after I brought him home (Sunday) b/c he
improved almost > >> instantly. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if he's
been on the > >> antibiotic almost a week now, & showing no signs of infection,
can he > >> be mingled with the other two kittens for play-time, or should I
wait > >> longer?> >> Thanks,> >> Caroline > >>> >>
Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word > >> scramble
challenge with star power. Play Now! > >>
<http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_oct>>