  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
Kaufmann
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 9:33 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Question about URI contagion

Does anyone know how long a URI is contagious?  I picked up a B/W
approx. 6 mth old kitten from the adoption location last Sat. b/c he'd
been suffering from a URI- mostly affecting the eyes (no sneezing) for
2-3 weeks and it just wasn't getting better.  Poor thing had started to
rub off the fur around his one eye from rubbing at it so much.  I had
this same kitten back at labor day for about 3 weeks when I took in 4
kittens who all had URIs in various degrees of severity.  He was the
oldest and he got well the fastest after treatment with Amoxy and
Terramycin.  Well, when he was added to the "condo" at the store to be
"on display" for adoption, I guess the stress of that shortly thereafter
brought the eye problems back and he's been suffering off and on since
then.  I tried to stop by as much as possible to clean and treat his
eyes, but it's hard b/c the store closes at 6:00.  He is also one of
those cats "prone" to tear stains regardless of a URI and with the white
fur on his face, he looks really bad being on display with tear stains
and eye funk (he looked sick- which looks bad for our no-kill agency),
so I decided to take him home and put in him the downstairs room and
just not mix him at all with my other two fosters Yoda and LeeRoy.
Well, I've had him since last Sat. and this time, he's on Clavamox (and
Terramycin in the eyes) and I'm feeding him tons of wet food (Wellness
kitten)- they only get dry at the store- and pumping him full of
supplements.  He gets to run around the house when I am home b/c the
other foster kittens have a big room to romp, so they stay closed in
there and away from him  But, I know he's lonely and needs some
kitty-socialization and he and Yoda may remember each other!  He's doing
SO MUCH better- it's unreal.  I know it's probably mostly because he is
having fun, not stressed, eating like a piggy and getting love (that
probably helps more than the meds...sigh).  So, if he is no longer
having inflamed red eye tissue and green discharge, is he okay to mingle
now?  He's not sneezing and he doesn't really have any eye discharge at
all, besides his regular eye boogers that he is prone to getting.  He
does not act like a sick cat (runs around like a maniac).  I haven't
seen green eye funk since the day after I brought him home (Sunday) b/c
he improved almost instantly.  I just wanted to know if anyone knows if
he's been on the antibiotic almost a week now, & showing no signs of
infection, can he be mingled with the other two kittens for play-time,
or should I wait longer?
Thanks,
Caroline

  _____

Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble
challenge with star power. Play Now!
<http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_
oct>
Effective September 1, 2007, we have changed our name to Mayer Brown LLP.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was
neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer Brown LLP to be used and
cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that
may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax
advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity,
investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written
to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer Brown LLP)
of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayers should seek advice based
on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.