Lynne, I don't think you're alone in reacting the way you did at your
mom's death.  I'm sorry that she, and you, had to go through 5 years  of
that kind of hell.  My mother died a few years ago, after 3 years in a
nursing home, and at the end was so far from what she had been a few
years before that we were probably both relieved. When the first cat I
owned by myself, Saavik, died, I was sad but also a little relieved,
since I had been worried, as she aged, about losing her and then it
happened (acute renal failure, so not a lot of warning) and I cried, a
lot (and still do sometimes when I think of her), but that part of it
was over and I'd lived through it.  My other cat was quite a bit
younger, so I knew that barring calamity I wouldn't have to worry about
THAT for a while again, and it was a relief.  Now HE's getting up there,
and there have been others in between, and it turns out you do get past
the sadness.

The same wonderful woman that Jane mentions, Nina, also brought me to
this list with my stray Patches, and had a lot of wise words for me all
through our ordeal together, which was actually only a matter of weeks.
The circumstances of Patches' entering the lives of me and my housemate
Gail were so odd that I do tend to believe Nina when she told me he'd
been "sent" to us.  It was 3 a.m. on the Sunday before July 4, which was
on a Tuesday that year.  I just happened to be awake at that outlandish
hour, and noticed one of my cats howling at something outside.  I went
to the enclosed porch to investigate, and there was this big disheveled
boy demanding attention!  So we brought him in, and got him cleaned up
and de-matted -- he had mats so huge they were like big angel wings, and
must have been hurting him terribly.  I think now that he came to us
because we would clean him up, make him comfortable and love him for the
little time it turned out he had. I don't think we'd have been great
FeLV mommies in the long run -- with the supplements and the vet visits
and the top-of-line food, and we had 4 other cats we'd have had to have
vaccinated regularly and our resources are okay but not endless -- but
he didn't need us in the long run.  We beat ourselves up considerably
that we weren't able to save him by the sheer force of our will, but
possibly that was Patches' lesson to us, that you can't, always. ;-)

Diane