Stefania,

Most vets us an in house test for felv/fiv - the snap test. The felv/fiv snap
test is generally a pretty good test.  (By the way, it does not utilize PCR,
instead it is an ELISA test).  It is certainly possible, however, to get a
false positive result.

In general, you can repeat the test (usually in approximately four to six
weeks).  I would recommend this.  If it is again positive, you can send the
blood out to a lab to have an IFA - immunoflouresence assay - done.  If this is
also positive it is highly likely it is a true positive.  As for the use of
PCR, I do not think that is currently used for felv detection.  It is possible
that I am simply not familiar with its use in that way.

I have to suggest to you, that it is a somewhat strange history for feline
leukemia.  I am not certain I fully understand the current problems she is
having but I would remain suspect about the accuracy of the test at this point.
 My greatest recommendation is to repeat the test.

Good luck,

Jenny