From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of jbero tds.net
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:37 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] OT - will kittens born to mom with URI have URI?

URIs in a mother can certainly be transmitted to the kittens after birth.
It depends on the phase of infection the mother is in.  If she is infectious
when the kittens are born, certainly transmission is possible.  If the
infection is resolving, she will be less likely to transmit disease and will
often have a good immune response that will be conferred to the young
through her breast milk.

With respect to the URI being transmitted prior to birth.  This is
unlikely.  URIs are generally passed from one cat to another through either
inhalation or direct contact.  Therefore, the young will not be born with
URIs.  (It could, however, be transmitted this way after birth as mother and
young are in very close contact)  The concern that I would have, however, is
if the mother has a systemic infection (involving the blood stream) that
could be transmitted to the young while in utero.  If it clinically just
looks like a URI (runny nose, sneeze, cough, runny eyes, pussy or purulent
discharge) I would be less concerned,  If, on the other hand, she has a high
fever, is lethargic and not eating, I would be more concerned.

Either way, I would recommend treating the mom with something that can be
safely used during pregnancy.

Good luck.

Jenny