Poor guy. What is his name?
Please keep us posted.
Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Amy
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:22 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Cat crashing

Yeah, the vet does know about it.  He threw it up and she said that means it
was recently ingested.  She said we can look at his belly today if we want
but she said she felt while we were there and his belly felt fine.  I read,
and so did she, that one of the main reasons cats eat litter is because of
anemia and we already know that's going on.  I've lost the majority of my
leuk positives over the years the same way.  Either anemisa or tumors.  We
do full blood workups every 6 months to try to keep an eye on anemia but
I've never been able to bring one back yet once the hematocrit starts
dropping quickly.  I expected him to live longer because I've lost most of
my guys with hematocrits between 7-13 and his is 23.  This guy is fading,
though, and I think he's probably had enough.  I'm just trying to decide if
I want to do bloodwork and radiographs or if I want to just let him go
peacefully without disturbing him any further.  I have no doubt that the
 leukemia has just taken it's toll on him :(

He also has Bartonella and despite numerous treatments, has not been able to
shake it.  We couldn't figure it out because any other cats I've treated
have responded quite well.  This guy's numbers actually got worse after
treatment so I'm thinking his body just doesn't have the means to cope with
fighting it off.

Amy