Sandra
Welcome to this board==you'll get a whole lot of info here from folks with a
whole lot of experience!

About testing--there are 2 common tests:  The snap Elissa test done right in
the vet's office and the IFA where blood is sent to lab.  If you only had
the Elissa, try to get the IFA as confirmation.  It can't hurt.

As for mixing, I'm one of those who does mix.  I did not find out my Tucson
was pos until years after she lived with my other cats (she had tested neg
as a young kitten).  The other cats never "caught" felv virus.  I had them
tested and vaccinated after I found out Tucson was pos.  They eat together,
sleep together, groom each other, share litter boxes, etc. and have done so
since they were kittens.

Tucson's only problems have been a few episodes of having a very low white
blood count--my vet used a series of immune regulin shots to bring it back
up.  Sadly, my other pos cat, Romeo, died of lymphoma earlier this year.  He
was at least 7.

You can get Stella tested and vaccinated.  I say tested because of my  own
experience where I had Tucson for a number of years before I even knew she
was pos!

Basically, I'm one of those who doesn't think twice about mixing but that's
a personal decision.  Others on the board can give you more of their
experiences and expertise.  I know that kittens are at the highest risk of
contracting all those diseases that FELV + cats can be prone to (URI,
anemia, etc).  You have to basically focus on giving her the best shot to
strengthen her overall health and immune system.  Good food, a warm place,
etc.  There are supplements folks use as well but Tucson is such a
temperamental (aka spoiled) cat that I don't push that too much for her.

And hurrah to you for taking Penny in....

Chris