You'll get a lot of good suggestion from folks on this board with tons of
experience.  I have some limited experience w. my Tucson who tested pos at
age 4 1/2 and with my Big Boy who I fed as a stray for a couple of years
before bringing him in and discovering he was positive.  Tucson is fine but
my Big Boy succumbed to cancer earlier this year.

First off, take a deep breath!  Your friend should get Kitty with the IFA
test--that's a blood test sent out to lab.  If that comes back pos, it
confirms the SNAP test; if it does not, then you can't be certain about pos
status.

My Tucson lived with my 3 other cats (2 of whom came in as kittens after
her) for 3 years before she was diagnosed.  She had tested neg as a very
young kitten but that can happen if test is too early.  They ate out of the
same dishes,  used the same litter boxes, groomed each other, got into those
occasional scrapes, etc.  and none of them tested post.  I got them the FELV
vacc as a precaution only after Tucson tested pos.  The 2 vets I consulted
after Tucson's test both told me it was not as contagious as some of the
literature makes it out to be.  My 2nd vet has a good deal of experience &
had absolutely no problem with continuing to mix everyone & no problem w. my
integrating Big Boy into the household.

Your friend should get the other cats tested & shouldn't assume they all
caught it.  Whoever is neg, she should vaccinate.  As for your situation,
the virus does not live very long in the air...  My guess would be that it
would be unlikely that Patches would have caught it from this indirect
casual contact.  You can have a snap test done if it will ease your mind.

Christiane Biagi