Sara,

With regard to your recent post, I wanted to offer info
available on the site of Wendell Belfield, DVM and in his
book, The Very Healthy Cat
<http://www.belfield.com/books.php#> Book.   Dr. Belfield
reports that he has reversed FeLV in young cats where the
disease has not yet progressed to the bone marrow with high
dose ascorbate (vitamin C).  See
http://www.belfield.com/pet_health_art2.php.  I work in the
distribution of Pauling's high dose vitamin C/lysine therapy
for removing arterial blockages (www.HeartTech.com
<http://www.hearttech.com/> ) and am familiar with Dr.
Belfield through Dr. Linus Pauling, as they were friends and
colleagues.  In fact, Dr. Pauling wrote the foreword for Dr.
Belfield's book.

Anyway, there is excellent information in Dr. Belfield's
book about giving high dose vitamin C to FeLV+ cats to
reverse the disease, provided it has not yet reached the
bone marrow.   Dr. Belfield, though now retired, has been
willing to speak with me personally several times about this
and I have used his product Mega C Plus, available from
<http://www.belfield.com/> www.Belfield.com.  Though I was
not able to save my Lukey because his disease had already
progressed too far when I learned of Belfield's protocol, it
may not be too late to reverse your boys with the Imulan
LTCI and Belfield's vitamin C protocol.  Alternatively, I
have also been using intravenous vitamin C on one of my
FeLV+ cats with lymphoma and he has now survived for
one-and-a-half years beyond the date that his original vet
said he should have died.  He is happy, healthy and eating
well, and in fact, though we expected him to predecease his
FeLV+ buddy Lukey, Linus is still going strong while my
darling Lukey died October 1 from his disease (we were not
using the intravenous C on Lukey because he was seemingly
healthy and we really couldn't afford to do two cats on this
treatment at once).  FYI, they tolerate the intravenous C
VERY well and there are no known side effects with IV C at
high doses for FeLV.  If these two were mine, I would do
everything in my power to find a vet in your area who would
be willing to administer the IV C to these young cats who
have yet no evidence of the disease in their bone marrow.  I
would recommend a drip at least two days a week and also
supplementing their food with the Mega C Plus available from
www.Belfield.com.  If you need more info about the protocol,
feel free to ask.

Vets and others will tell you that cats and dogs make their
own vitamin C and do not requirement supplemental C.  While
it is true that they do synthesize ascorbate in the liver
from glucose, because of their domestication cats and dogs
make the least amount of vitamin C of all animals and this
is why  they develop illnesses similar to humans who lack
the enzyme L-gulonolactone oxidase (GLO) to make vitamin C
in the liver including upper respiratory, cancers, etc.
Along with humans, guinea pigs, primates and fruit bats also
cannot make vitamin C in the liver.  Vitamin C is required
by these species at very high doses (far greater than the
RDA).

E.g., an adult rabbit makes the human equivalent of 15,000
mg of vitamin C in the liver each day and even more under
stress, while a cat makes only 2800 mg.  This is a must read
site for info on vitamin C in veterinary use.
http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/197x/belfield-w-j_int
_assn_prev_med-1978-v2-n3-p10.htm

Sally Jewell