James, here is the Readers Digest version of my sweet Albert's issues:
1/07 dx severe periodontal disease
2/07 dx advances CRF, anemia
3/07 went into CHF and dx with severe HCM

He was getting daily sub q fluids for his kidneys and daily lasix (same as
salix) for his heart.  His various vets gave him days to weeks to live.  He
enjoyed another 1 1/2 yrs until his heart gave out.

Seeing a cardio vet or internal med vet and having an u/s and EKG would help
determine the cause of the pleural effusion.  Did your vet test the fluid that
was drained?  Again that would help determine proper treatment.

There is a yahoo feline heart group with some good files.

Have you read the info on pleural effusion here?
http://www.petplace.com/cats/pleural-effusion-in-cats/page1.aspx
"Pleural effusion is a symptom of many diseases, but is rarely a disease
itself. Diagnostic tests are needed to determine the underlying cause, and
subsequent treatment recommendations are based on these findings. The type of
abnormal fluid accumulated can help determine the underlying cause of the
fluid."

For Albert the lasix controlled the fluid build up in his lungs.  I adjusted
his fluids and lasix daily based on how dehydrated he was and his breathing.
You'll want to monitor his breaths while sleeping and not dreaming.

Since Albert had been written off by his vets I threw the kitchen sink at his
health problems.  He got phosphorus binders and potassium supplement for his
kidneys; NutriVed, B12 and folic acid for the anemia; and L-carnitine,
L-arginine, DMG, taurine, and lactoferrin for his heart; Clindamycin one week a
month for the periodontal disease.  I assist feed him with a syringe every day.
 His meds were mixed into the food I syringe fed.

Until two days before he died he still begged to go outside for his daily walk
and could still jump up on the bed.

You really need a more definitive dx from a vet before you can determine the
correct treatment plan.  In the end you give the meds needed to manage the root
problem.  Syringing meds works.  If you can pill LG, you can usually put
several pills into a gel cap to limit the no. of pills you have to give him.

Good luck
Sharyl