From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Julie G.
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 5:31 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Lost my FELV Stray dude

Hi I've been lurking a few weeks.  In July I picked up a stray that turned
out
to be FELV+.  In his few weeks with me he gained a pound, had a cushy bed,
delicious premium canned food, and all the snuggles I had time to give him,
since he lived in the basement while I tried to figure out where he could
live
(I have 4 cats).  I'd watch movies on the laptop with him on my lap,
snoozing
away happily.  He always seemed a little wobbly, and his pupils were always
different sizes.  But he was relatively happy so we kept on.  Last night his

back legs didnt work.  This had happened before, my pet sitter said, but
they
always came back "on" after a while.  But this morning they still didnt
work.
The vet examined and confirmed that he had tumors pressing on his spinal
cord.
He was in pain and his entire back end didn't do what he wanted it too.  So
the
decision was made to let him go.

He'd been living under porches on my block for at least a few months when we

finally caught him.  I'm so glad we did, I cant imagine what a frustrating,
frightening life he'd be having out on the street right now, starving, full
of
tape worm, and 2 back legs that wont work.  I'm crushed that we couldnt give
him
a better life, and for longer, but I'm glad we got to him when he needed us,
and
filled his belly and his heart for a few weeks.  Safe and comfy and within a

foot of food at all times. :)

Anyway, I dont know anything about FELV, this was my first introduction to
it...
so I dont exactly know how the tumors are related (cancer?)... but I wanted
drop a line to folks who understand.  He wasnt my kitty for long, but he was
my
kitty.