Alice, it makes me happy to know that Murphy is improving.  Thanks for the
updates and continued good luck to you all.

Sara

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Alice Flowers
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:15 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Murphy is improving!!

It is one day at a time-the roller coaster is going up this week. Last
Sunday
evening I thought he would not make it through the night. I had spent the
weekend hand feeding and watering him with a syringe-he spent most of the
time
stretched out on the bed. We went ahead and gave him the Procrit (Epogen)
and
LTCI shot-I put them in one syringe so I would only have to give him one
shot.
He didn't even flinch. I thought he'd be gone by morning. I woke up at 5:30
get ready for work and I didn't see him on the bed-I went to the kitchen and
saw
both he and Rosie sitting at the open slider door screen (it was a nice cool

evening-we left it open) watching the birds at the feeders!! He came
trotting
over complaining about breakfast-got his meds and ate a decent amount of wet
and
a few morsels of dry. He slowly improved over the week and we had a vet appt
on
Friday (8/13). They did an in house PCV, but it was 19-I think the last time
he
may have been dehydrated-it was 27-28 and the time before it was 18.5
(7/23).
She was happy with the pinkness of his gums-not real pink, but not that
death
white color we dread.  His fever was gone, back down to 100.5 from 104.7 the

week before. She suspected he had a herpes virus-he developed a little
lesion on
the top of his nose that has healed. Luckily we picked up our LTCI order
that
day-she said she wanted to keep him on it weekly for now until his numbers
get
back up. I will never try and space the LTCI 8-10 weeks apart. That is when
he
crashed with this anemia. Luckily his last CBC on 8/7 stated that the
Absolute
Reticulocyte count of 70610 shows that it is so far a regenerative anemia. I

have the higher calorie wet food from the vet and he really likes it. We are

taking it a day at a time, but he is perking up-he still sleeps alot-but in
his
usual spots near the desk and he is wanting to stay near us. He isn't up to
leaping for the top of the bookcase yet. When I woke up this morning, he was

jabbering at me, lying between the pillows and watching the young pheasants
eating spilled birdseed from the feeders through the low bedroom window at
the
head of the bed. We watched the birds for awhile, then I got up-he raced to
the
kitchen ahead of me, wanting his breakfast! He got his pills and a good
breakfast. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but today is a good day.
He is
to stay on the Procrit 3x a week, doxy 2x a day, interferon 2x a day, LTCI
once
a week, and iron capsules once a day. We will give one more PennG shot for
good
measure-they last 5 days. I am grateful for your purrayers-I do believe they

help immensely! I am lucky to have such kind vets-they take us at a moments
notice. I think it helps to have a cat only practice to go to, (Sacramento
Cat
Hospital) plus they are open minded and progressive-they did not hesitate
when I
asked them to order the Imulan after they read up on it.  This is a hard
journey
we are all on, we lost the 4 brothers last year despite trying the
transfusion
and other meds. It helps to have people who understand-sometimes even family

members look at us like we are insane-LOL   Alice and Glenn - owned by Sweet

Rosie and Mr Murphy!

http://www.eset.com