I would not let him outside again. I brought in a feral kitten years ago. I
let him out once and when I got him back inside I never let him out again.
I spent lots of time with him (kept him in my master bathroom/dressing room)
and gave him different toys all the time.
Cat TV is another diversion and he still loves sitting in the window 13
years later.
There are links on the internet about how to bring an outside cat inside.
He will adjust but will need your time and attention.

If he is asymptomatic, I would not be inclined to add another cat.

Bless you for taking him in!
Laurie

"Love animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy
untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harass them, don't deprive them
of their happiness, don't work against God's intent. Man, do not pride
yourself on superiority to animals; they are without sin, and you, with your
greatness, defile the earth by your appearance on it, and leave the traces
of your foulness after you - alas, it is true of almost every one of
us!"~Fyodor Dostoyevsky