Hi,
I have 1 formerly stray, and 1 formerly feral.  I think the best way
is cold-turkey.  Otherwise they will just keep begging to go out and
trying to slip outside.  Mine adjusted quickly, had one scary
over-night sneak out, but overall they seem content to be inside.
Teaching him that he must wear a harness to go out can work too, but
he will be more likely to try to sneak out if it is sometimes allowed
and sometimes not.
Best cat toy I've found to occupy their time is the "Catch Me If You
Can" toy at Walmart, $20.00.  (Don't waste your money on the
"Butterfly Blast").  I also hide treats on their cat tree...

Best wishes,
Beth N.