Marnie,  In 2008 I rescued a litter of 6 kittens and all but one was
tested FelV positive.  Four of them died when they were just a few
months old. One lived to be a year and a half and then he developed
spinal tumors and had to be PTS.  The last kitten always tested
negative and never had the virus.  I still have him, and he is now 3
years old. He was retested and he is still negative.  It happens, and
I guess some have a stronger immune system than others and can throw
off the virus.

Lorrie