Pam,

I haven't had a chance to check out this link so it may cover everything I say
but I wanted to share what I've learned about FeLV just in case it didn't cover
everything.  I've read a lot of websites, books and talked with several vets
about all this.  My understanding is very rudimentary but here's what I've read:

If a cat test positive on the IFA test then it has FeLV and is shedding the
virus in the saliva and blood.  This test looks for the virus in the white
blood cells so once the virus has gotten that far it means the immune system
wasn't able to extinguish the virus and almost 100 percent chance the cat will
always be positive and shedding the virus and can infect other cats.  No need
to do any further testing.

At this point, if the IFA test is negative it can mean a couple of different
things.  1) It can mean the ELISA test done in the vet's office was just plain
wrong.  It's a sensitive test and can easily produce false positives.  It
should never be solely relied upon as a diagnosis for FeLV.  2) A negative IFA
test could also mean that the cat really has gotten the virus, which means the
ELISA test was correct, but the virus hasn't reached the white blood cells.  If
this is the case, the cat still has a chance for the immune system to either
extinguish the virus or put it into latentcy.  From what I've read about 40% of
these cats will extinguish the virus or put it into latentcy.  But since all
cats don't extinguish the virus if this first IFA test shows negative, to be
certain the IFA test should be repeated a few months later.

If the cat has actually put the virus into latentcy it means the virus is in
the bone marrow but isn't being shed so it is not infective to other cats.
However, the virus can be brought out of latentcy even years later if the cat
becomes ill or has some other major stressors.  But many cats who do initially
put the virus into latentcy will later on extinguish the virus so you just
never know.  The vet book I just read said that the only way to find out if a
cat has the virus in the bone marrow, meaning it's dormant/latent, is to do a
biopsy of the bone marrow.  That means that there really may be lots of cats
out there that have contracted FeLV but put it into latentcy and the owner
never even knows.  The books said only about 10% of exposed cats will put it
into latentcy though.  So most will either extinguish the virus or become
carriers (persistently viremic).

So I believe the woman who told you that a negative IFA test still means the
cat has FeLV is wrong and myself I wouldn't put her in with positive cats until
you know her true status.  Or, at least get Poppy vaccinated before putting her
in there with positive cats.

It does take continued and prolonged exposure for a cat to get the FeLV virus
into it's system.  Cats who eat after each other only on rare occasions are not
likely to spread the virus.  My thoughts are that if Poppy is in a cat condo
and occasionally hisses at another cat it's not likely that would be enough
exposure for the negative cat to get it.  Especially if the negative is a
healthy adult cat.  That's not a guarantee though so you have to decide for
yourself about that one.

The vaccination has become much more effective.  Seems like I read somewhere
that it was 90%.  I have a friend who has had several FeLV positive cats living
with negatives and even a couple FIV positive cats, for many years.   She has
way more cats than you.  All the FeLV negative cats, including the FIV positive
cats, get FeLV vaccinations every year and have never gotten FeLV.  They all
live together, share food and water bowls, etc.  She's not the only one with
these kinds of results with a house where positive and negatives hangout
together.

Can't think of anything else right now.  It's very confusing though.  I have
more cats than you and in March a two year old died and we found out she had
FeLV even though she tested negative as a kitten.  I'm going through the
process of re-testing all the other cats right now.  I've only gotten 5 tested
so far but all 5 have been negative, thank the Lord.  Four out of those five
lived with the FeLV positive cat for one or two years, have never been
vaccinated and still didn't pick up the virus, or were able to extinguish it.

Good luck making the decision.  It's tough.  It's a fatal virus and you can't
play with it but at the same time there's so much misinformation out there and
a lot of unecessary pre-cautions or euthanizations are taking place.