Pam -

I would search the archives on "mixing". I have always mixed my positives & 
negatives, on the advice of my vet. My negatives are vaccinated & they have 
never gotten it in 10 years. I do NOT separate in any way. They share 
everything - food, water, litter, grooming...

Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter!   

--- On Fri, 4/15/11, Pam Norman <> wrote:

From: Pam Norman <>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Question re positives & negatives
Date: Friday, April 15, 2011, 2:00 PM

I am trying to determine what to do with Poppy both now & when the IFA test 
results come in. I've been reading & reading & from what I can gather, the old 
dictums about NEVER havinig positive & negative cats even in the same house has 
been abandoned.  From what I have read, the general sense is that it's fine for 
positives & negatives to be in the same home, but should be separate so there 
is no chance of exchanging fluids such as with a bite, but more importantly 
with mutual grooming.   But I know also that some of you have both positives & 
negatives really living together, not separate. Right?

What about if I put Poppy in her condo in the spare bedroom & let me cats 
visit, so at  least she SEES other cats.  What is she hisses & spits?  Would 
that have a chance of infecting any of mine who were nosing around her condo?  
My feeling is that it would.

Also how effective is the vaccine these days?  I know that some years ago the 
figure was about 30% so I never  had any of my cats vaccinated.  Has it been  

Right now we are still waiting for the IFA test for Poppy. And I guess she 
needs retesting on that in at least a month. I do NOT want to keep her alone 
until then.  We  have a sanctuary for her if she tests IFA positive cause then 
we know that she is really positive. But the person who runs it tells  me that 
regardless of how she tests on the IFA, she HAS leukemia. Period.  And would go 
in with the positive cats. But my understanding  is that if she is IFA 
negative, she has a chance of fighting it off & putting her in with the 
positives is giving up.  I think she should only go in with the positives if 
she tests IFA positive.

Can anyone help me sort this out?


Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to