If possible keep a bowl of his favorite food on your steps/porch so even if
he stays out a little while he will get food.  Also when you put the food
out make a big production of it by either banging the can a few times with
the spoon or rattling the bag so he knows it's there.  Keep the house quiet
as possible and at night keep as many lights off as possible.  Given how
spooked he is you may need to catch him in a trap to get him back inside -
keep food outside in the same place for him as this will be he location of
the trap if needed.  If you do see him outside just you go out and sit
quietly to see if he comes up to you.  If he does approach you just take a
minute or two to pet him just as if you were inside and when you can do it
easily (almost naturally as if you were inside) pick him up (hold him tight
as even though this it is you just picking him up may scare him) and bring
him inside.  Not sure if you have other cats or if it is possible but if you
can leave a door open by the food you put out so he has a chance to just
slither back into the house on this own.  Many positive thoughts are being
sent your way.  Hugs, Elizabeth